Saturday, December 12, 2015

The Purge: 465 Things Gone In 30 Days

                                                                

Confessions:  I'm counting a bundle I still have here as gone because I'm taking it somewhere special come a week or so. I included loose paper kind of like 10=1 type thing, just cause I had so many. Also, pretty sure I only got rid of may be 2 things from the photo above.

Why I did it
You know that whole post I did on UPLIFT OR DOWNPULL? Well minimalism is one of those things that uplifts me. I've always had an appreciation and desire for the simple. In fact, this may be why I love complicated stuff so much - because I love to u-n-complicate it. I love the idea of only having things in your home that you truly love, adore, and use; cutting out all the rest. In my leisurely pinterest pinning on the subject I came across the challenge HERE. It got me so giddy I knew I had to do it! Also, I have fears of becoming a hoarder and I want to make sure this fear doesn't come true. Though I had started ridding lots of stuff out of my house prior to, November was my plan of action.

How it works
Day 1 = get rid of 1 thing  Day 2 = 2 things and so on until Day 30 which all adds up to a whopping 465 things gone! I made myself a sheet like this(except larger obviously) and wrote out what I got rid of as it left my house:

Day
Thing(s)
Day
Things
1

16

2

17

3

18

4

19

5

20

6

21

7

22

8

23

9

24

10

25

11

26

12

27

13

28

14

29

15

30


I didn't really follow dates to get rid of stuff as much as I  just followed the sheet and tried to get it all out by the 30th. It was just easier that way.

The struggles
Basically here is my briefing on the process: Your mind and heart have to agree. There's no brain wins this one, heart wins that one, no compromises made, and no sacrificing for either side. The single item that has the attaching struggle needs to makes sense both emotionally to get rid of as well as logically to get rid of. It's a soul search for the answers on either side to find the justifying reasons to let it go. If effort has been made on both sides and an agreement hasn't been made, you keep it and move on to another item. I learned to emotionally justify unattaching myself to things and to logically see how an item can be useful even though it is not fulfilling an immediate need.

At the start, I actually leaned more on the side of wanting to get rid of EVERYTHING that wasn't an actual need. My logical brain burst onto the scene as a dictator over my heartfelt emotions and I quickly had to lead troops into a peaceful rally for democracy - I had to search my talents and dreams. These things enticed my logic to realize that although some items aren't a need, nor do they fulfill a purpose at the moment, they are a possibility that I do desire. Furthremore, this life isn't just food, clothing, and shelter, it's becoming our true selves; taking time in our talents and fulfilling goals and dreams that we have. Really though the real thing that broke through this stop point was my cheapskatingness; If I know I'm going to need this if my talents progress or my goals come true, it'd be nice if I didn't have to buy it again and save myself the money... super logical and economical.

Here is some of my personal thoughts to the common justifying pleas of keeping an item:
  • But I love "so and so" and they gave me that. If it was hand craftingly made and that is the only thing you have that reminds you of them. Sure, keep it. But if it was one gift of many and was unused, unloved, and store bought, I say chuck it(give it/sell it)! People are not things, and honestly it's kinda weird how we attach people to items. Not saying I don't do this, actually it is because I am so sentimental I've learned that if I keep a limit to the sentimental things I have, I take better care of them and cherish them more.
  • But it was a gift. If you fear that someone may be offended that you don't keep their gift, then that person doesn't know the meaning of a gift. A gift is something given, freely given, as in it is the recipient's choice as to what to do with that item. When people become preoccupied with the gift they gave you in where it's whereabouts is and if you are using it, then they did not give you a gift - they forced you to permanently borrow their thing. You literally got given a responsibility, not a gift. "Here, house my item forever, or I will hate you."  This is not a gift, and honestly I don't think near as many people are offended if you gave their gift up as you think. If I gave something to someone and they gave it to someone else and I found out, I would literally be glad because a) they know I am not a thing b) they don't feel the guilt of keeping things they don't want c) they know I wouldn't be offended and d) my gift quite literally became the gift that keeps on giving, YAY!
  • But it's pretty. I had to really look at what I actually wear regularly and what decor my house mostly is. Though some things were pretty, I always opted out of wearing them, it was actually a chore to have them on my body and place them in my house. I felt guilt wearing them and guilt boxing them. Guilt is logically not good for the brain and emotionally suckeths... aka this thing has got to go!

Weird tip - Try not to hold an item for long (2-3 seconds) if at all! Something weird happens when you hold it, your body suddenly feels the need to hang onto it forever, and that's how hoarders are born... just kidding... but it's a little true.

A little recommendation - make sure family or the person who gave you item(s) wants it first before going elsewhere, just a polite thing to do ;)



What I gained by losing 465 things
- Better sense of what my talents are
- Better sense of what my dreams are
- More appreciation for what I have
- More selfless outlook on life
- More opportunities to give 
- Decreased stress levels
- Increased happiness
- Decreased guilt
- Decreased anxiety
- More clean and tidy home
- More efficient cleaning
- Tools to kick out regret and guilt
- Ability to focus in more on what truly matters
- More love for simple
- More ambition
- More time to myself (I don't how this happened, but it did)
- More motivation
- More focus on people instead of things
- More quality items
- More joy in the things I have
- Ability to see more of the things I love
- More creative/effictive ways to preserve/view sentimental things
- More empowerment
- More humility
- Realization of how incredibly blessed I am
- More focus on my family's needs
- More focus on the needs of others
- A little more pocket change
- More cautious spending
- More awareness on where I spend my money and time
- More attention to my little ones
- More awareness of what comes into my home and how it affects us
- More things I love in my home
- More space
- More acknowledgement of my true values


*I would write the reasons, but who really wants to read an even more gigantically long blog post?? You'll just have to do this yourself and see how you gain these things...which brings me to...

The Invitation
If you feel giddy and excited to do this then I invite you to do it! Don't do it though if you feel guilt to, I can't recommend it working to your benefit if you do it out of guilt. I think any hefty goal or project (within the confines of law and conscience) are a great thing to embark on and prove to be highly rewarding. Do it for you and see how it turns your heart toward others!


Conclusion
This project was easy, then overwhelmingly hard, and lastly super rewarding and easy. Overall, it was awesome, and I'm totally going to be doing it again most likely! Even now, off hand I can probably only name may be 20 things I got rid of, meaning I don't miss what I gave up at all. I gained so much more than what I lost and it became ever so true that:








Heaven's slice is giving.





2 comments:

Catherine said...

I saw all the pinning you were doing on minimalism and I've been purging house. It's crazy how much you accumulate. I'm going to do this 30 day challenge.

Unknown said...

Ya minimalist articles on pinterest have totally become my jam lol. I'm so excited for you to do it!